Persons seeking asylum in Iceland may apply for a temporary residence and work permit while their application is being processed. Such a permit does not establish grounds for a permanent residence permit and is subject to certain conditions. Furthermore, this kind of permit is only granted as a temporary solution until a final decision is made in the applicant‘s case.
Article 12 g of the Act on Foreigners No. 96/2002 stipulates the following criteria for granting temporary residence and work permit:
a. The applicant has been interviewed,
b. there is no doubt as to the identity of the applicant,
c. no reasons exist for the expulsion of the applicant,
d. no other state has been asked to re-admit the applicant (as per para 1 of Art. 46 a),
e. the applicant has provided information and has been cooperative in resolving his/her case.
Para 2 of Article 12 contains exemptions from the conditions of items b and d.
Further on item b exemption
An exemption may be granted from the condition that satisfactory identification documents have been presented, if there is no doubt as to the authenticity of the information provided by the applicant and that the applicant cannot obtain said documentation, or if it is deemed not justifiable or impossible for the applicant to obtain the documentation. Please note that the above mentioned exemption does not apply if the applicant has been served with a final refusal for asylum, in which case he/she must obtain identification documents.
Further on item d exemption
Exemption may be granted 90 days from the submittal of an asylum application, if it is still being processed.
If the applicant does not fulfill the above mentioned criteria, he/she cannot expect to be granted a permit. If the applicant asks for exemption from the requirements, the Directorate does examine each case on the merits whether or not exemption may be granted.
The applicant can get a confirmation from the Directorate that he/she fulfills the conditions of Article 12 g.
In order to apply for a temporary residence and work permit, the following documentation must be submitted:
- Application for a temporary residence permit. Form must be original, completed and signed by the applicant.
- Application for a work permit based on special reasons. Form must be original, completed and signed by the applicant and the employer.
- Employment contract. Wages must meet minimum support requirements. The contract must be signed by the applicant and the employer and endorsed by the applicable trade union.
- Housing certificate or rental agreement.
- Payment of processing fee, 12000 ISK.
Further documents to be submitted:
- Medical insurance. Applicants must submit a confirmation of insurance that is valid for the durance of the permit, from an insurance company that is licensed to operate in Iceland.
- Medical certificate issued in Iceland.